Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Flowers of Bangladesh

"I quit Biology after SSC. It narrowed down the world around me." --- Mahbub al Azad.
However, I have tremendous curiosity on Taxonomy ... how we classify the huge living kingdom, sort things into different classes, orders, families ... and my interest was rekindled by the great Richard Dawkins. Since I always try to learn new things through my activities, I have fidgeted out a new focus ... I'll be shooting flowers (it has got a vulgar meaning too, never mind that ...)!
Photography is my passion, though I'm still chewing on the roots of it, not a good photographer I am. But I have taken an initiative to archive the flowers of Bangladesh through my camera ... as well as others'. Pretty soon I will open a website dedicated to Bangladeshi Flowers. Anyone can contribute with good pictures and scientific information on flowers. I believe it won't take us long to have a very nice resource over the net.
I was really hurt when one of my friends in Brazil complained that she was interested to know more about Bangladesh, but couldn't find enough info over the net. And it was not an unjust one ... seriously, we are so touchy about our country, but have we done enough to present it properly to the rest of the world? Isn't there something good that we could offer, exploting the wonderful internet? Many of us literally spend half the life on the net, and some minutes would suffice to make a difference.
I have a good mind to start my step with flowers.

No comments: