Thursday, July 07, 2005

Blind Sunday

The Xth grade was indeed a period full of surprise for me, never ceasing to offer endless shades of emotion [mushy stuff], never missing a chance to tune the throbbings of heart to things I would have never looke twice at, and never defecting from the unspoken promise that there are always nice things around us --- all we have to do is to pick them up and be charmed, just like that!

Enough it could be about my Xth grade, but what I wish to blog here happened while the FIFA USA'94 world cup was being broadcasted. Being poles apart, the shining and roaring and quivering fields we had to watch at the deadliest dead of the night. My father, being a great soccer enthusiast, would make tea for the two of us, and we had a tacit agreement that early rising has to be maintained after the whole-night-soccer-frenzy. However, there had to be a break, quite a long one, between two consecutive games. At that time we had no other channel than BTV. The between-boredom had to be buttered down by something equally appealing.

"Blind Sunday" was the choice of some fellow with a really good taste in movies, I presume. A twenty-minutes-or- so long cinema, that still makes me nostalgic, and reminds me, if not reassures me, of those shiny promises my Xth grade year caparisoned on me, nice things are there, always.

It started with a typical story of a guy who sees a gal, and falls in love, and so on ... but the thing is he soon found out that the beatiful lady was totally blind, and though she moved quite smoothly, elegantly though, she couldn't help using a white walking stick ... and he managed to kick his own butt into the gutter, as he unknowingly taunted the girl and pushed her down to a pool.

Now what to do? The gal is simply pissed off, she wouldn't bother listening to that fellow's whining apology ... how to get into her circle of trust [reminds you of Meet The Parents?]? The guy invents something goofy, but hey, effective. He blindfolds his own eyes, limps down to the girl's door, knocks the door and says, "I'm Blind Too."

And then? It was a nice date, both of them together, the girl blind and the guy blindfolded. The lady guides the fellow smoothly, both of them sharing the same darkness, one of them tanned bathing under the darkness and the other only probing it, they cruise along the parks, libraries, restaurant ... beside the lake, beneath the tree, beyond the horizon ... and the movie ends right after the girl walks the guy home.

Isn't that sweet? I remember, I was so appalled, and god knows why I felt so guilty, I suddenly realized, I could never love someone until I feel myself moving with such passion. Loving someone still means to me ... sharing the darkness. I tried it ... once, but not everyone can walk you home.

No comments: