Thursday, July 21, 2005

Jamuna

Well, I first met her back in April this year. Yes, it was a shame, and misfortune for me that I couldn't meet her earlier.
Jamuna is a river of its own class. With her banks faded into mist, her seductive bends bejewelled with greeneries, her sky being a cloudy canvas ... I have never seen anything like that before. It's true, quite a few rivers have revealed their secret beauty to me. Rheinkhyang and Sangu in lower hill tracts enchanted me, Danyub in Regensburg and Vienna was also charming, Someswari in upper Netrakona almost brought tears to my eyes ... I've never seen such a slim river with all that beauty, Dahuki in Sylhet and Bula in Sunamgunj was also awesome, but I must say, Jamuna can cast a hypnotic spell upon me.
Today I met her again. I was cruising down back to Dhaka, and the rare shines had a bonus macquillage on her. Just imagine, all around you only clouds with a tint of red and a deeeeep blue patch can be seen, and your horizon is split by the red-white transmission poles, and you can't pierce the scenery beyond water, water everywhere ... I felt like I was floating on a raft like a shipwrecked soul.
I thank my stars that I was born in this extraordinarily beautiful country, and was gifted with this afternoon. One day I'll get special permission from the authority and will dive from the bridge into Jamuna to end this silly life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although the rainy season hasn’t set in properly still you are so mesmerized!
I wonder what you will do when you see her on the late half of august!