Monday, July 25, 2005

A Movie that moved me ...

Drooping eyelids are the first two things you'd have noticed about me this morning.
My eyes are naturally droopy, either I'm tired, or I'm doing something with immense attention, or I've concocted another of my champion cocktails, or so ... but last night I watched The Gods Must Be Crazy and went to bed pretty late.
You might wonder why I am so late to see this hell of a good movie ... and the answer is, I don't know. I ceased watching movies back in 2002 and switched to alcohol to enjoy my moments, and last week I bought a DVD-ROM drive after accidentally watching The Ring ... man, I was almost scared to wet pants! I don't believe in ghosts ... but I prefer to be afraid of them, especially after watching such a movie. I slept with my lights on that night. I've got a Monroe portrait in my room, with the usual smile and cleavage, and I turned it other way round so that I don't see her and get scared.
Anyway, the DVD-ROM drive, absence of which almost turned me into an alcoholic, was inaugurated by two awesome movies: The Gods Must Be Crazy, part I and II. And I was entertained up to my capacity.
It was the simplicity of the movie that touched me ... I like simple things and simple people. The whole course of the movie was an intricate design of simplicity. An exasparated Bushman, a nervous game scientist, a city-quitting Dame, a trigger-happy dissenter ... yet the whole thing is so neatly woven! That's the kind of movie I want to make.
And man, if could only have fathered a child like that little bushkid in part II! He was so sweet and so naïve, resembling my nephew a bit. I can still see his terrorized face, holding that piece of wood above his head to scare the Hyena off ... and the way he hides under the blanket, into the tire when his brother falls off the truck.
I would be watching this movie again, but not alone, with someone hugging close. I don't know why, this movie makes me feel awefully lonely again.

No comments: