Monday, July 11, 2005

Nuisance let loose

Frankly, I hate mobile phones. But I often do things I hate to do, carrying a mobile almost up my arse is one of them.

The Siemens A50 that I'm using I got from a electronic appliance market in Vienna. Why that silly set, you might ask ... because it was the cheapest. Didn't bother any fancy sets, cause I knew I won't be using them as my closest foreign body.

I bought my first SIM in January, 2005. Had no other choice, you have to put your personal phone number on your CV, home phone won't be doing any good since you're almost never there ... but hell, right after a month I got a job and they stuffed another one up. Now I use two mobile phones, and I hate them more than ever.

Think of all the troubles you face because of these mobiles. You can't move freely, you get phone calls when you're in the ugliest situation to receive them, people around you are getting calls and responding to them ALL the time, and most of all, you're being exposed to the whole world, 24/7. Turning them off? Does it help? No, it would turn the whole world against you, and you'll have to spend even more time explaining why you turned it off in the first place. Tax and Mugging I won't mention, though you might mistake one for another, but muggers you have to face in this uncivilized city, Taxes you can easily escape.

You need to connect yourself to others while you're out of home? Sure. If you'd be living in a healthy environment of a civilized city, you'd see Telephone Boothes 400 meters apart. You simply can't ruin other people's peace for your own emergency, compris?

I've spent more than 24 years without mobiles, yet learned to hate them. I like the old way, without mobiles, with uncertainty. No missed calls, no make-sure calls, simple and uncertain life. Waiting for my novía, watching the minute-hands of the clock shivering around its face, tension, I-can't-stand-this-waiting-any-longer groans, and voilá-here-she-comes sort of way of life. I don't need any camera shoved up the butthole of my phone, I don't need to send silliest sms-s that can't convey my voice, intonation, ripples of laughter and cry ... I don't need to connect myself through this damned piece of gadget. And yes, I still love telephonic conversation, but not to get robbed by those GRAMEEN-AKTEL-CITYCELL-BANGLALINK fuckers, billing my minutes to perdition.

1 comment:

Sameen said...

I kinda like cell phones! I like being connected all the time and having the option to pick up the phone and talk to anyone I choose to (and also to block calsl of those I dont really want to talk to!)

But the part of having a cell phone that drives me over the edge is having to choose from 50 million different plan options! Too many options, too much trouble. Otherwise theyre really convinient:)